Casper & Runyon’s Nook – St Paul, MN
Published on November 5th, 2013 | by John0
Summary: A must visit whenever in St Paul, MN.
I have to admit up front that this is one of my favorite burger joints in the Twin Cities. Located adjacent to Cretin Durham High School the Nook is known for having some of the best burgers in St Paul. Established in 1938 the Nook hasn’t changed much over the years. A no-thrill local establishment that serves some of the best burgers in town.
On my most recent I tried the Ultimate Supreme Bruger (pictured above) – a double cheeseburger, bacon, lettuce, tomato, and special sauce. It took some work but I was able to chow this baby down. What impressed me most about this burger is even with all the toppings, I could still taste the wonderfully cooked meat patties.
On previous visits I’ve had the Juicy Nookie – the Nook’s take on the Juicy Lucy – a hamburger stuffed with molten cheese. Another standout for the burgers at the Nook are the buns which are fresh-baked just down the street.
The menu boasts 31 types of burgers, many named after local sports icons. Here’s a few samples of their extensive burger menu:
- Firehouse Burger For the chief, Tim Butler! Pepper cheese, raw onion, bacon and hot mustard.
- Matt Birk Burger Two patties with pepper cheese, you can’t pass this one up!
- Joe Mauer Hit a Double Burger Two hamburgers and one order of fries
- Reuben Burger Sauerkraut, Swiss cheese, 1000 Island dressing and corned beef
- Mitch Ham Ham Burger Shaved grilled ham, sweet bourbon sauce and Swiss on top of a burger patty
- Lodge Burger Bacon, tomato, lettuce, smoked cheddar and chipotle mayo. Joe Mauer’s favorite!
- Bleu Cheeseburger Melted, crumbled bleu cheese over nicely sautéed mushrooms.
Expect to wait on any busy evening. But don’t despair, the restaurant serves up some fine micro-brews to make the wait a little more enjoyable.
This place should always be on your top 5 burger joints in the Twin Cities. It’s definitely on mine!